Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Ok.....today's events will be posted most likely tonight. I'm going to post about my camp trip now but I regret to say I cannot fulfill the promise I made yesterday. I will post day by day instead of the whole thing as it is too long. Day 1 itself sums to about 1700 words so....I'm thinking splitting them up would be the best thing to do. So, here's Day 1 of Constuct 2003.

Day 1

After posting a post in my blog, I rushed to check for any last minute items to be packed. Once ready, I was off…..off to meet my doom for 5 days in camp without my beloved PC. Time to ‘check-in’ was between 7.30 AM to 8.00 AM so I set out at 7.25 AM with a tint of hope that they might actually cancel the trip due to unforeseen circumstances (or at least scratch some names off the list due to limited transportation space). Upon reaching the main hall, I spotted only 1 person waiting there ~ Shu Yin. A flicker of happiness came upon me as my wish might just come true (with the canceling of the trip). However, dreams were shattered when an SRC exco came up to us and asked us to mark our attendance on some pieces of paper. While doing so, we were required to give our house phone number (which I assume they will call if we got lost in the jungle) and also pen our signature there. In time, more and more people came but as expected, since they mentioned we have to register before 8, that means 8.30 (typical Malaysian time) and so myself, Jin and Shu Yin went to the mini mart in Plaza Siswa to buy some snacks to munch.

Returning from the mini mart, we found everyone was gone, heading towards the roundabout (where the buses were parked). We took our things and joined the crowd. Managed to get a seat with Shu Yin at the front most of the bus while Jin sat with Yong behind us. And guess what? We left at 9.30 AM!!! 9.30 AM!! That’s a whole one and a half hours extra from the proposed time. As usual it was due to improper planning (not sure by STAD or SRC) cos they found out that there is not enough transport to cater for all participants (I heard later on that some SRC excos did not go due to lack of transportation). We were so close of telling them we voluntarily opt to not go and give space to the rest but somehow, we did not. And this, at 9.30 AM, the real journey began.

The journey was quite comfortable (though a little hot cos the air cond was not that cold) and I had a nice chat with Jin, Shu Yin and Yong though only for a short time. Then I went to sleep. Tried to anyway (since many were eagerly phoning friends or family to find out their results) but we reached our first stop which is a petrol station for the driver to fill ‘er up. Many went down the bus to grab something to eat or drink but I just remained seated, trying to sleep while playing with my blue cloth. Tank full, all systems go!!! We headed off again and this time I managed to grab forty winks until just before the next stop, where all of us got down for ‘breakfast’. The 5 of us (Shu Yin, Jin, Chin Nee, Yong and myself) sat on a table and ordered our drinks and food. A cup of teh o panas was good enough for me. After about 20 minutes, we’re on our way again. (Not before filling in a form ~ a declaration form stating MMU will not be responsible if anything were to fall upon students but will try their best to ensure the safety of the students yadda yadda crap)

This time, I slept really nicely and woke up just at the exit toll, where I can see a signboard “Sungkai” just a couple of meters in front of the bus. Though the signboard stated Sungkai was to the right, the driver turned left. I was like….”uh-oh….we’ll be lost". But the driver looked like he knew where he was going so I just let it be. Messaged my dad, Huwi Yin and How Zan just to inform I’m almost there. Managed to get Huwi Yin’s reply before I was cut out from the outside world (read: no more coverage) though it seems How Zan did reply but it did not come through so…..report: failed.

The bus went deeper along the road (it was somewhat like a kelapa sawit plantation) and we stopped twice (cos the driver was not sure and had to ask for directions ~ he did not even know the name of the place so I had to tell him ~ since the declaration form stated the name of the place). Finally we reached our destination….Kem Nurnikman. The bus brought us as far as it could and we then got off the bus, took our luggage and started walking towards the camp. At first glance, it was a military training camp to me. No matter, I just followed the pack, reaching a shaded area. One would not be shocked to hear people shouting “Oi, CLC lah” since it does look like a lecture hall except that it’s not a closed room. We put our bags in a corner, sat down but in less than a minute, we were up, moving around again. Well, to change seats actually as boys were to sit on the left, and girls on the right of the hall.

To cut things short, attendance was taken, a short speech was given and we were rushed (literally) to our tents. Since we get to choose our tent-mates, I was with Chin Nee and Shu Yin and we got a silver tent (just the interior portion). We were off to clean our tent but the weather was so damn hot that I felt like I was being roasted alive in the tent. I cleared some dried grass and twigs from the tent and hurriedly got out. Phew…..did I start sweating already. Face all red and I totally felt like jumping into the river nearby. We were then given lunch and then gathered back at the field to be separated into 4 groups. Standing from tallest to the shortest (2 lines ~ 1 boys, 1 girls), we counted from 1 to 4 and continued till the last person. Group 1 was known as Alpha, Group 2 ~ Bravo, Group 3 ~ Charlie and Group 4 ~ Delta (standard army group names ~ you’ll know if you’ve watched that TV show by Mark Burnett ~ Combat Missions if I’m not mistaken)

We were then given some standard military instructions (proper way to stand, how to respond to an instruction, etc ~ example: Ke kanan…..lurus!) and chose a group leader and assistant leader. Finally the fun started. We played 3 games. Well, the first was not a game actually as it was merely a test to see how long can one stretch a 1 inch string (the string was those kind where you can separate it into thinner threads so the ‘method’ was actually just to separate and tie them together) and they would measure it later on (though they never did). But the catch was that they would be distracting us with loud songs, noises from the motorbike and also from the car/jeep. It was to test how well we can focus and concentrate on a task (perhaps training us to concentrate on our book when in libraries instead of looking at girls/guys around us). Second game was to form a circle, holding hands and 2 hoops were placed in between the hands. Well, the aim was to bring the hoop around the whole circle back to the original place. We did accomplish it but not with record time considering there are many tall people in my group (I’m in Alpha by the way ~ how nice if I was that young ~ read: Alpha MMU)..though our style of shifting the hoops were quite good. And the last game was throwing golf balls to your partner. Well, we’re still in a circle and we have a throwing partner and a catching partner. Is hard to explain but it was a nice game so if anyone wanna know how to play this game (or want further explanation on how the game goes), later only ask me lah, ok? We managed to achieve all 7 balls in the air (was the first group to achieve that actually) so we were allowed to sit down (by groups now instead of gender) and waited for the rest to finish.

Then more lecture (actually it's not a lecture...it's more of a talk since it's not that boring....and not that long either ~ we had some concentration and meditation exercise too during this time), tea break, bath time, dinner (can’t remember all so if I did miss out any activities, gomen ne) and finally, we were to assemble at the hall for a briefing on our night activity. It was simple. We will be brought to some place in the jungle, and we’re to hold on to a rope, not let go and walk, following the rope to wherever it leads. Individually!! Well, it was dark, we can’t see a thing and the instructors purposely made some weird noises in the jungle. (The waiting process was a little ok but I don’t think it needs elaboration on it. Just that I was asked to create the sounds of a pontianak ~ which I refused ~ wanna know later ask me lah) Upon reaching the end of the rope, we were to wait for our turn and then tested on our memory skills. In 3 seconds, how many out of 10 items can we remember. It was ok but I knew I only managed to get 4 correct. After the test, we were to wait for other group members to arrive and soon, we headed back to the hall. We were asked to head off to the ‘dewan makan’ to get refreshments (it was only plain water ~ but we called it air laici and started calling it air laici since then) and then we’re off to bed.

Well, you know me. For certain I can sleep if I feel like sleeping, no matter on wood, stone, grass or mattress. So, I slept like a log. But in the middle of the night, I was shivering to death (my legs only actually ~ I wore shorts cos I was low on track suits) so I took out my sleeping bag and treated it as a blanket.

Guess that kind of sums up Day 1 in Kem Nurnikman....considering I slept after 12 AM (the activity lasted that long), the last paragraph should be in Day 2 but I think it's better counting the days as when I wake up till the time I sleep, ok? (Like it or not you guys have to accept anyway cos this is MY blog. Nyahahaha....:p) Long post, ne?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home