Saturday, September 27, 2003

Day 2

I woke up to the sound of someone shouting. Looked out of my tent and saw people running to the field (or hopping on one foot as they try to fasten their shoes). The hell!!! They did not inform us what time were we to assemble that morning before hand and now they were shouting and blowing their whistle? It's not that I'm not awake. I'm awake but I was still lying down just waiting to wake up fully. Upon the shouts and the whistle blowing, I hurriedly woke Shu Yin (who was also half awake) and Chin Nee (who was having a nice sleep) and in a blink of an eye, we were ready and headed straight for the field.

It was a bad way to start my day for sure but I'll survive. Without delay, we lined up according to our groups and most were seen buttoning their batiks or fastening their shoes. (Ah, I forgot to mention that on Day 1, in front of MMU's main hall, we were all given a batik though we did not know the purpose of it. Not until our first lecture....when we were told ~ instructed more likely ~ to wear the batik for any activities ~ which kinda mean like the whole of 5 days lah ~ if I'm going to stink, everyone is going to stink. I was one of the 2 to wear it during our night jungle trekking activity though. The other being Shu Yin. The others wanted to boycott the camp and rebel against the wearing of batik. And it was rather embarrassing when the instructor mentioned about the batik just before the night jungle trekking activity. I think everyone was staring at me with killer eyes that instant. Pai sei ~ heck, even Jin, the one who told me that we were to wear batik that night did not put on his. Hmph... Well, you guessed it. Boycotting failed.)

Well, it was time for morning exercise. In order to wake us up, we were instructed to run around the field twice, lead by group Delta. After a very tiring start (the leading group ran too fast for us to handle), we were required to do 10 push-ups. And each time we go down, we were to hold that position for about 5 seconds before pushing back up. As you might guess, many went low and straight down to kiss the ground. (Ya, including yours truly) Hey, if guys from sports club can't do it (they look awfully fit but managed to successfully do the first few only), what do you expect from an anime otaku like myself (who just sits in front of the pc the whole day long staring at the monitor and lazing around)? After push-ups were sit ups (this I did without much difficulty as I have been doing 50 to 100 sit-ups per day before bed) which although differs in style (we were to put our hands on our abdomen and do the sit-ups without the help of our hands behind the neck like most people usually do, but only using the strength of our abs ~ it's to flatten those abs and for those guys to start building six pax :p ~ though I did a little similar at home but my hands were on my sides instead), it was basically the same thus I did it with ease. *smooth, brother* Done with these exercises, we then came to the morning exercise + stretching. The morning exercise was simple (I thought it was a little too simple), from head to toe. (You know those where you turn your head clockwise, look up, look left, bend down and touch the ground, etc) And there were a few stretching exercises as well (going to aerobics classes finally paid off cos it was a breeze for me ~ perasan :p ).

Well, we were given breakfast then (fried mee hoon and fried rice + a piece of omelet ~ though it was supposed to be fried mee hoon OR fried rice + a piece of omelet but the management did not know that MMU students like to test both so taking half the share of both variety :p) There was a small briefing and we were divided into 2 groups ~ Alpha with Charlie and Bravo with Delta. Alpha and Charlie remained on the field while the other 2 groups went off and did the flying fox. (Flying fox is a sport where people swing from a higher place to a lower ground, attached to a cable. The type of flying fox one normally sees is the type where they strap you up, you hold on tight to the rope attaching you to the cable above and they slide you down. In Kem Nurnikman however, it's done without hands. I call it flying without wings because the position we are in when doing it is some sort like a bird. Anyhow, Kem Nurnikman is the only place in Malaysia which has this type of flying fox. In this case, we were to climb to the top of a tower ~ looks like those guard towers in strategy games firing arrows ~ and ask for permission to drop down (not exactly drop lah). The words were, "Saya, ________ meminta izin untuk turun, tuan!" And you were to jump off the 'cliff' ~ platform lah ~ yourself or risk being pushed down without any warning. Hahahah....pity those who were. The instructor did make a nice joke by saying that we should get the words correctly and flee from the risk of saying, "Saya, ________ meminta izin untuk keturunan tuan!" It was hilarious I'd say.)

Anyhow, in the field, we played ring hockey (I think that was the name anyway) where it's a mixture of American football (note: not rugby) and netball. Well, it was basically something like handball too. The objective was to score as many as possible within the given time. The 'ball' in play was a ring (you know, those kinda rings where you throw during fun fairs) and the goals are people standing on top of chairs, holding a stick (for the ring to go into). The key of the game was to get the shortest person in the team to hold the goal stick (as the goalie ~ person holding the stick ~ is not allowed to lower their hand to catch the ring....hands must be straight up to make it more challenging) and that proved a disadvantage to us cos the shortest person in the camp was in Charlie's team. Group Charlie was good, I admit it. We were trailing all the way (except at a point when we tied points) and in the end, we only had 1 goal (by we here means my group ~ Alpha). Losing to Charlie's score of (I kinda lost count actually) about 5 I think.

Since Bravo and Delta are not done with the flying fox, we rested in 'CLC' with the instructors telling us stories and such. We were kinda watching the other 2 teams 'fly' from afar and were laughing our hearts out at certain people as their 'landing' was so funny. From there, the instructor told us that it would be much more exciting and fun if we were to jump off the platform ourselves and not being pushed down. One of them even showed us the proper way to jump and to position ourselves after the jump so that we will not spin around or 'fly' in a senget manner. He was experienced in these things as he undergone free falling training before. (Oh, and he gave us a tip that we should not look down when we're on top of the platform as we might be even more afraid)

Finally our time came to 'fly'. We took turns to fly without wings and unfortunately for me, I was #47 out of 50 people. Haih....what a long wait. We gave support to those who were afraid to jump and people were borrowing sandals to one another. Then came my turn and guess whose sandals did I borrow....Encik Shah from STAD. Hahahaha....it was a little big for me but it was the best choice I had. Then came the moment of truth. I climbed to the peak of the mountain (tower lah using ladders) and got hooked on to the cable. I did a naughty thing though. I looked down (I'm not afraid of heights anymore since the day I conquered my fear of heights) and was excited I could have just jumped up and down there. The instructor checked everything, I said the magic words and I was off....flew down nicely (it felt sooooooooooo great) but halfway, I felt myself going a little senget. Dang....I tried my best to get back into the normal position (which I managed to do so) and it was a successful landing for me also. Though it was said that the way I tried to get back to my normal frontal position was a little funny. More like a frog swimming on air. Hahaha...I don't care. I did it and I'm proud of it.

We were all so tired then and went for a bath. After a quick bath, we were back at the dewan makan having our dinner and we played with fire that night. :D We played football actually but using a special ball ~ a fireball. Yes, it was on fire and it was burning hot. But it did not really hurt when we kicked it (cos we have to kick it with our tapak kaki and kick it fast). What hurts more was kicking the 'ball' itself since the 'ball' is actually a coconut. Halfway you'd see the coconut split into 2 and voila, you have 2 balls to play with. Though the referee would bring in another. It was a World Cup event amongst groups but the girls were separated, joined together and separated again into 2 groups. (I was in group 1 or better known as Angels ~ the other being Shin Chan)

After a tired and hot time (my legs were black by the end of the game), we were shooed off to bed and prepare ourselves for what they had in stored for us tomorrow.

Dang.....another 1700+ word post.....hope this is enough. I had to cut the last part short a bit. :p Want more explanation on the fireball game later I'll post. Now only remember about it. Gomen ne...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home